2/17/11

Thirteen Nights of Dreaming


Here's a piece I did for my Illustrated Maps class--we did a map inspired by "a place we feel we belong." The projects are being submitted to make-maps.blogspot.com , a blog started by artist Adam Hayes that features maps drawn by various artists. He will take a look at our class's maps and post some of them on his blog. We are supposed to submit a short description along with our personal map. Here's mine:

My nightstand is covered in glasses filled with varying levels of water. I always need a glass of water next to my bed when I am going to sleep, and many of my dreams involve being submerged underwater or take place near large bodies of water. I chose to map a collection of my water-themed dreams because I feel a sense of identity and belonging in these surreal spaces. I think my affinity for water may have something to do with growing up in the Great Lakes State, but it is also connected to my interest in the concealing and revealing of reality, motion within structure, and the nature of the subconscious.

No comments: